Thursday, December 5, 2013

For Good or For Bad....the Power of 1

I didn't know anything about this story when my daughter asked to go see the movie. She gave me a briefing as we headed to the theater this past weekend and it sounded like something we would definitely enjoy. It was.
The movie is The Book Thief.

Movie Poster
I don't want to give anything specific away, because it is very worthwhile seeing, but it did provide a perfect image of the powerful impact 1 person can have....for good or for bad.

Being set in Germany during World War II, you can image the dire circumstances surrounding the characters. The main character being Liesel, a young girl that faces more loss and heartbreak.....more reasons to loose all hope than can hardly be imagined. More opportunities, as a child, to be courageous than many face in a lifetime.

I had never really considered the devastating impact of Hitler's corrupt leadership on everyday life for his own people. The negative reach of his inhumanity was consuming of victims expanding far and wide that weren't even his direct targets. Obviously those that were his targets receiving the greatest measure of his relentless and unjust punishments. One of which finds refuge with Liesel and her family, offering her an opportunity to learn and to love and to embody all that is humanity.

Oh it's a beautiful story!!! A sad, difficult story, but one full of genuine hope.

Obviously you know how the War ends, so it's not a spoiler to share that HUMANITY WINS! The Good...while broken, scarred and forever changed, rises up. Overcomes. Blooms from the ashes. It's not a glorious image of victory, but a bold and true life, changed yet again...stronger. More beautiful and relate-able. One that says simply with it's presence
"I will not give in. I will give more."
And so leaves me wanting to know more of this young girl and the woman she grew to become.

Here's the trailer if you'd like to watch.

The movie is based on the novel by the same title written by Australian author, Markus Zusak. We will definitely be adding it to our library very soon.

I'll leave you with one of the most thoughtful quotes from the narrator of the book, who is a most interesting character all his own....
"I'm always finding humans at their best and worst. I see their ugly and their beauty and I wonder how the same thing can be both..."

Photobucket

1 comments:

Melissa said...

My mom just gave me the book to read last week. It is on my mut before seeing the movie list.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...